Called 'garam in Pompeii --
the mighty anchovy !
There is a wonderful WEBPAGE dedicated to the
ANCHOVY, an under recognized fish who DESERVES fame.
Why? Because they add a meaty note to many dishes where
nobody will ever know it's a fish in there. Much needed UMAMI !
In the ancient times, these anchovy guys were everywhere.
Anchovies swim in all the oceans.
In Pompeii life, 'garam' or anchovy sauce was made of
rotted down fishes.. used by these people.....in ITALY.
(I thought fish sauce was like a THAI or HINDU thing
That the English saw it in India, created Worcestshire sauce
didn't know it was so OLD and in ITALY? POMPEII? Had
they learned of it trading in ASIA? )
INTERESTING to do food history studies. no? Tell that to your
family when they rave about your anchovy flavors not
knowing why everything is so delicious
Do your salad dressing with anchovies, don't tell anyone. Just
watch their faces light up with its triple flavor!
SALAD DRESSING RECIPE
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons sour cream
* 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
* onion, sliced, green onions, dried onions
* 2 to 3 anchovy fillets
* 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled
* 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/3 cup olive oil
Whip then jar in glass
ANCHOVIES in your PIZZA SAUCE -
First, make your homemade TOMATO SAUCE.
Put sauce on your raw pizza, then your usual vegies, lightly sauteed eggplant slices, onions, bell peppers, then drizzle the anchovy-olive mix on top.
½ cup Oil-cured black olives (pitted)
1 Garlic clove; minced
1½ tablespoon Drained capers
2 ounces Canned anchovies; drained
4 tablespoons Olive oil
1 Lemon; juiced
* Place the ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Drizzle it on your pizza where there are also your fave vegies. Be sure to include fried eggplant slices, onions, cheese, bell pepper. They really make a pizza rock.
Any of the salad dressing or pizza oil sauce left, transfer to a small glass jar; cover and store in the refrigerator but use salad dressing fast!
MY PROMISE. Nobody who raves over your food will ever know it was anchovies unless you tell them.
<=========BACK TO THE FOOD INDEX
<========= BACK TO ALL of ANITA SANDS HERNANDEZ ' files